Did you know that your eyes are the most complex organs you possess except your brain? That’s right. In fact, your eyes are composed of more than two million working parts and can process 36,000 bits of information every hour.
Here are some more facts about your amazing eyes:
- The external muscles that move the eyes are the strongest muscles in the human body for the job that they do. They are 100 times more powerful than they need to be.
- Your eyelids and the external muscles of your eyes need rest and the lubrication of your eyes requires replenishment, but your eyes themselves never need rest.
- Your eyes will focus on about 50 things per second.
- The eye of a human can distinguish 500 shades of gray.
- The cornea of the eye is one of the only living tissues in the human body that does not contain any blood vessels.
- Your eyelashes have an average life span of five months and the entire length of all the eyelashes shed by a human in a lifetime is over 98 feet.
- It is almost impossible to sneeze with your eyes open.
- The reason your nose runs when you cry is because the tears from the eyes drain into the nose.
- About half of your brain is involved in the seeing process.
- The eye cannot be transplanted because it is connected to the brain by the optic nerve, which cannot be reconnected once it has been severed. The cornea can be transplanted.
- Your eyes contribute towards about 85% of your total knowledge.