Patients who have nearsightedness, farsightedness, or astigmatism and are tired of glasses and contacts may be appropriate candidates for a procedure known as Laski. Lasik is a surgery that is growing in popularity as it provides reliable results, restoring clear vision and allows patients to see without the need for corrective lenses. However, the procedure is not right for everyone, so it is important that Louisville, KY patients considering this procedure schedule a consultation at The Eye Care Institute to determine if they are appropriate candidates.
Who is a good candidate for Lasik eye surgery?
Below are a few of the factors that a doctor at The Eye Care Institute of Louisville, KY may consider when determining candidacy for this or other eye surgeries:
- Age – the Lasik procedure is approved by the FDA for patients 18 and up.
- Eye health – conditions such as corneal disease, glaucoma, and cataracts can rule patients out as possible candidates for Lasik surgery, and those with eye infections or injuries will need to wait until the condition has cleared before undergoing surgery.
- Cornea health – the cornea must be thick, which allows the doctor to create a flat to access the corneal tissue underneath. Patients with a thin cornea will not be able to have the surgery performed.
- Pupil size – certain complications such as starburst and halos in low-light condition can occur if patients have pupils that are larger.
- Prescription – Lasik is better for patients who do not have severe refractive errors, as the results are less predictable in these situations. Patients must also have had a stable prescription for at least a year.
- Overall heath – patients should be in good overall health, and women who are pregnant should delay their procedure until after childbirth.
Schedule an appointment to learn more
Are you ready to see without the need for glasses and contacts? Are you ready for permanent change in your vision? If this sounds like you, Lasik might be a great solution! At The Eye Care Institute, we offer Lasik surgery for new and established patients in our practice. Patients in Louisville, KY who are ready to find out more can call (502) 589-1500 to schedule a consultation appointment and find out if they are appropriate candidates for this procedure. Our facility is located at 1536 Story Avenue.