If you’re tired of dealing with contact lenses and eyeglasses and want to enjoy better vision without them, it may be a great time to speak to a professional about the benefits of undergoing procedures such as LASIK eye surgery. LASIK eye surgery continues to be a popular method of improving vision for individuals who struggle with astigmatism, farsightedness, or nearsightedness. The idea of being freed from prescription eyewear is an ideal solution for many adult patients.
At The Eye Care Institute, we welcome Louisville, KY area patients to connect with our providers to determine if they are a good fit for LASIK—or if they’re a better candidate for alternative treatments available. Below are a few questions to ask yourself prior to making an appointment to decide if a consultation is the next right step!
- Do you have a very strong prescription or severe astigmatism? These can impact the final results of LASIK treatments. The best candidates are those with mild to moderate vision concerns.
- Do you have large pupils? Patients with large pupils may have an increased risk of complications including starbursts, halos, and glare.
- Do you have healthy eyes? If you have conditions such as pink eye or dry eyes, these will need to be addressed before scheduling your LASIK surgery.
- Do you have a stable prescription? It is best to wait until vision has stabilized for an extended period of time before undergoing this treatment.
- Do you have thin or irregularly shaped corneas? The best candidates for LASIK surgery are those with sufficient corneal thickness to create the LASIK flap effectively.
- Do you wear contact lenses? Patients should stop wearing contacts several weeks before their procedure, as these can alter the cornea’s shape.
Patients who meet the requirements for LASIK surgery should schedule a time to speak to the doctors at The Eye Care Institute in Louisville, KY. During an evaluation, they can work with their doctor to determine if they are a good fit for undergoing LASIK eye surgery with our team. We encourage patients to call our office at (502) 589-1500 to request a consultation and initial evaluation at our facility, located at 1536 Story Avenue.