Medications Contributing to Dry Eye Disease
- Acne medications including Accutane
- Beta Blockers for hypertension including Inderal and Lopressor
- Thiazide diuretics for hypertension such as hydrochlorothiazide
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl
- Decongestants such as Sudafed
- Hormone Replacement Therapy medications include many drugs which have been shown as causes of Dry Eye Disease
- Tricyclic Antidepressants including Elavil has been shown to decrease tear production.
- Antidepressants in the class of Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs) such as Celexa and Prozac
We are not suggesting you stop taking any of these medications if you have Dry Eye Disease. Our purpose is merely to give you pause to think if you have any of the conditions shown here along with Dry Eye Disease.